A pesar de tener algunas de las protecciones legales mas solidas contra la discriminacion en el pais, las violaciones de los derechos civiles ocurren todos los dias en el estado de Washington. Algunas de estas violaciones de derechos ocurren a manos de gubernamentales indiferentes, insensibles, o maliciosos. Otros son perpetrados por ciudadanos privados en el contexto de una transaccion commercial o intercambio de servicios. De cualquier manera, muchas violaciones de los derechos civiles son procesables bajo las amplias protecciones legales de Washington, bajo la ley federal, o ambas.
Sufrir un trato perjudicial debido a las creencias religiosas de una persona, el color de su piel, o la naturaleza de su relación con sus seres queridos, puede dejar cicatrices permanentes. Ignorar tal conducta puede envalentonar a aquellos que discriminarían intencionalmente a otros y conducirían a nuevas violaciones o comportamientos perjudiciales. Contratar a un abogado de derechos civiles y entablar una acción civil para abordar incidentes de discriminación busca tanto obtener justicia para las víctimas como evitar que otros sufran daños similares.
Possible civil rights actions include:
- Housing discrimination
- Unequal treatment by sellers, landlords, real estate agents
- Public discrimination
- Unequal treatment in restaurants, hotels, stores, purchase of services, or other public accommodations
- Racial or national origin discrimination
- Disparate treatment based on race or national origin
- Sex discrimination
- Discrimination on account of sex
- LGBTQ discrimination
- Unequal treatment on account of sexual orientation, gender identity, or family status
- Disability discrimination
- Discrimination on account of physical or mental condition
- Religious discrimination
- Discrimination due to sincerely held religious belief
- Free speech violations
- Violations of First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and expression
- Peaceful protest violations
- Violations of First Amendment right to peacefully assemble
- Unlawful seizure
- Unconstitutional detention or illegal scope of detention without adequate suspicion of criminal activity
- Unlawful arrest
- Criminal arrest without probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed and that the defendant committed it
- Unlawful use of force
- Constitutional violation of right to be free from excessive force
- Police misconduct
- Intentional violations of civil rights by police officers
- Police brutality
- Assaults perpetrated by police officers under color of law
- Malicious prosecution
- Criminal prosecution brought without legal or probable cause
The Hornbuckle Firm handles civil rights matters and brings to potential clients decades of combined civil litigation and criminal defense experience as well as a passion for achieving justice for civil rights violations. We view these cases as an essential part of our commitment as lawyers to protect and serve the safety and wellbeing of our community while upholding and preserving the United States and Washington Constitutions.
Associate Attorney Jacey Liu is the Hornbuckle Firm’s first chair attorney for civil rights cases. Ms. Liu has distinguished herself in this area of the law. Before graduating from law school, she received Willamette University College of Law’s 2009-2010 Civil Rights Award for her authorship of a legal brief helping to preserve a verdict permanently protecting the rights of a small church to use a prohibited controlled substance during religious rituals in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In the criminal context, Ms. Liu has authored countless motions and handled hundreds of cases involving the constitutionality of police conduct and governmental action, including authoring an appellate brief before the Washington Supreme Court in a landmark case challenging the constitutionality of Washington’s implied consent laws.
If you believe that you have been harmed by a deprivation of your civil rights, call us today to learn more about your rights or to see how we can help.
Apply to the Hornbuckle Law Scholarship
DO I HAVE A CASE?
the initial consultation is free
Please call (425) 679-0742 or contact The Hornbuckle Firm today to schedule your free nursing home abuse and neglect consultation. The firm has litigated cases in Washington, Tennessee, and Texas. We accept cases from all states across the country.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT US:
He appears to be committed to his clients and ably represents them, even when he is at risk of not getting compensated for his time and effort due to difficulties in the case.Fellow Attorney
Stephen is an excellent lawyer. I received one of my highest jury verdicts with him as my co-counsel. I am very impressed with his abilities.Fellow Attorney
Highly competent attorney & law firm.A Judge
I've known Stephen since law school. He is a powerful thinker and excellent attorney.Government Counsel