Skip to main content

What Should I Do If I Suspect My Loved One Is A Victim Of Nursing Home Abuse?

By December 20, 2014February 9th, 2017Nursing Home Abuse

When you make the emotional decision to entrust a nursing home with the care of your loved one, you naturally expect that he or she will be treated humanely and with dignity. But the National Center on Elder Abuse reports that more than half of U.S. nursing home staff admit to having mistreated patients, and nearly half of residents say they’ve experienced nursing home abuse. If you believe that a nursing home is causing harm to your loved one, the Seattle nursing home abuse lawyers at The Hornbuckle Firm will fight for your loved one’s rights and make sure you get the assistance your loved one needs.

Nursing home abuse can be physical, emotional, sexual, exploitative, or negligent in nature. If you suspect your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, contact the Washington State Department of Social and Health Service (DSHS) by calling 1-866-EndHarm (1-866-363-4276) to ensure your loved one’s safety.

The best way to build a case against a nursing home is to collect as much documentation as possible. Some things to consider include:

  • Obtaining copies of your loved one’s medical records
  • Taking photos of physical signs of nursing home abuse
  • Maintaining a written record of any suspected signs of abuse
  • Obtaining contact information for possible witnesses
  • Recording the date and time of any reports you file with the nursing home or DSHS

If your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, report your concern to the DSHS. And once you’ve established your loved one’s immediate safety, make sure you seek assistance from an experienced nursing home abuse attorney. At The Hornbuckle Firm, we will stand by your side every step of the way to help you and your loved one through this difficult process.

Please contact The Hornbuckle Firm today to arrange a free nursing home abuse consultation. We serve clients in throughout Seattle and Bellevue, Washington, and we accept cases from all states across the country.

Blog By:

The Hornbuckle Firm

1408 – 140th Place NE, Suite 250
Bellevue, Washington 98007

Phone: (425) 679-0742

Close Menu